Monday

Creamy Tomato and Basil Soup


It’s great to be back after a break! While I wasn’t blogging, I’ve been travelling, working and exploring good eats. It’s been an amazing experience spending time in nature, hiking trails, visiting farmer’s markets and checking out local produce and restaurants.

Now that I’m back home I’ve been trying to recreate the flavors and various recipes I came across on my travels. One of them is this creamy Tomato Basil soup that I had in this little French restaurant. I just fell in love all over again with French cuisine with this soup. It’s rich, comforting and perfect after a long day on a chilly evening.

CTBS

Ingredients

2 cups organic tomatoes, diced and cored

1 cup organic Tomato juice, low sodium

1 cup organic Vegetable broth, low sodium

¼ cup organic, low fat Cream

½ cup organic fat free Milk

(To reduce the amount of cream I used milk for this recipe)

½ cup organic Basil, fresh and finely chopped

1 teaspoon cooking Oil (Olive or Canola)

Salt to taste

Fresh ground black pepper

Method

Mix together tomato juice and vegetable stock and set aside.

In a sauce pan, heat oil, add tomatoes, sauté for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add in the juice-broth mixture. Cook covered on medium-low flame for 15-20 minutes.

Add basil leaves; cook uncovered for 1-2 minutes. Remove from flame and allow cooling for 5-6 minutes.

Using a hand held blender, puree the mixture to a thick pulp, in the saucepan. Add in cream and milk, slowly stirring throughout.

Add salt and stir continuously for 7-8 minutes on medium –low flame. Add fresh ground black pepper, remove from flame.

Serve hot with baguette.


A note of thanks........to My Comfort Food for the Butterfly Award.

It was a pleasant surprise!

butterfly_award_jpg[1]

I’d like to pass this on to Ramya,Maya ,Suganya and Srivalli.



17 comments:

Suganya said...

Welcome back, Eskay. And thank you very much for the award :)

Purnima said...

Hey Eskay..WELCOME BACK..missed ur lovely posts...narlel tella ek chaangi recipe post kari poloya ;) kidding...told u coco oil-SK synonyms for me!! :D The soup looks delicious!!

Sia said...

good to see u back with lovely winter warmer :)

Anonymous said...

Eskay,

The soup looks good, perfect, since the weather is getting colder here. Sireesha is not my name..Just call me my comfort food. ;-))

Betty Carlson said...

I found you through the Foodie Blogroll and I'm also a Foodbuzz F.P. I've just tagged you for a meme -- to do or not to do!

http://cuisinequotidienne.blogspot.com/2008/11/six-random-food-related-facts-about-me.html

Sihi said...

Thanks Sug:)

Sihi said...

Thanks Purnima....will do that soon;)...will post narlel thellache ek khaana recipe:)

Sihi said...

Thanks Sia!

Sihi said...

Thanks for tagging me Betty! To do or not to do...hmmmm...sounds fun!

Betty Carlson said...

Well, I usually tag people I know, but this time I decided to graze and try to discover some food blogs I wasn't familiar about while I was at it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds scrumptious and SO healthy, too - perfect winter day soup!

Pooh said...

Tomato soup is an all-season favorite of mine. Yours looks yum!

Namratha said...

The soup looks inviting..tomato and basil make a killer combo don't they :) My first time here, you have a nice space.

Becca said...

It is really fun to recreate things you tried while out in the world exploring.

Becca

Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com

Australian made gourmet products said...

A great blog with some interesting information. Thanks.
Australian made gourmet products

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Excellent soup!

Uma said...

Hi Eskay,
Tempting soup!
http://umasculinaryworld.blogspot.com