Saturday

Hurried Mushrooms

Its like I almost disappeared from the face of the world ....thank you for checking on me now and then. Being away for a few months has made it feel like decades!

Thank you for all those little notes most of you would keep sending my way to see why I haven't been blogging and wondering if all has been well. Though I didn't get around to responding to each one of you, (my sincere apologies) I truly appreciate all those emails and the thoughts you kept sending my way.

They say motherhood changes everything...for the good. I'm no different and its been one of the best joys of life...its been great but I would be lying if I said it isn't very demanding and does come with its own set of challenges. Overall, its been a beautiful journey and hope it continues to be..

With my little one spending a large part of the day in pre-school I am sorta-kinda getting some time and making an earnest attempt to get back to the kitchen and try out simple recipes. I expect to devote some time each the week to the blog and hopefully, I can keep up with the resolution.

On the whole, I am super excited about getting back to blogging…but....I know this may sound really weird... it has been tough or rather quite a challenge to know what that perfect starting point is…..it feels like I am re-learning everything there is about blogging and as a matter of fact, food as well. It sounds bizarre yet very true.

Here's one recipe that's been sitting in the drafts for a while now…thought this would just be the one that’ll help me re-start. I have always believed that the best dishes , sometimes, come from the simplest of ingredients....and this has been one such for me.

Mushroom curry 1

Ingredients

2 cups of mushrooms diced (fresh procini or regular white)

½ cup Red Onions, chopped in length

1-2 Jalapenos, finely chopped

4-5 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped

½ inch piece of Ginger

¼ cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped

2 teaspoon Cumin powder

1 teaspoon Coriander powder

½ teaspoon Turmeric powder

¼ teaspoon Paprika powder

2 teaspoon extra virgin Olive Oli

Salt

Method

Clean the mushrooms well to make sure there is no residual dirt. I brush each mushroom till all of the dirt has gone and then wipe each one down with a damp cloth. Dice them and set aside.

Grind the jalapenos, garlic, ginger to a paste, adding very little water. Heat oil in a sauce pan and sauté this paste for roughly a minute. Add onions, and cook on medium-low till the onions just turn transparent. Now, add the powders and salt to the onion mixture in the sauce pan.

Introduce the diced mushrooms, mix well and cooked covered for 4-5 minutes. Let it cook uncovered on medium till all of the water has completely reduced and the mushroom has been coated well. This dish is not very wet, if you’d like it wet then you may want to avoid the reduction and stop cooking, once the mushrooms are done.

Garnish with fresh cilantro. I served mine with cooked brown rice as the nutty flavor just pairs well with the mushrooms. Enjoy with white or brown rice.



Mushroom curry

If you are wondering why this weird name when the ingredients are more or less very basic...then here's why..... I had just 45 minutes to cook dinner between when I got back from work and when I had to rush to pick my little one up from daycare. I knew I had mushrooms sitting in the refrigerator, so, I threw in these everyday ingredients along with the mushrooms to turn out something like a ‘quick fix’. Quite surprisingly this recipe produced the most delectable mushrooms ever! So why not the give the ‘rush’ to cook these mushrooms that evening a little credit!

No comments: