Friday

Goat Cheese Spread (Dip) with Spinach-Basil Pesto

Picture3

I realized there haven’t been so many recipes that I have tried using pesto. I like the traditional recipe, but find it a little too strong for my taste. I have been looking at different ingredients to blend in for balancing the flavors of basil. My trials, however, haven’t been that very pleasing, expect for one.

 I customized this recipe for pesto by playing with the key ingredients. I use fresh basil and spinach leaves in a 1:1 ratio and this sort of avoids the intensity that you would get by just adding basil or replacing it entirely with spinach. Another twist is instead of pine nuts I use walnuts and blanched almonds in equal amounts- again, because I like these over pine nuts.

 To make a dip and a spread using this pesto recipe I added in goat cheese. Unlike cheeses made form cow’s milk, Goat cheese has a natural tart that blends in and adds a more creamy and acidic flavor to the pesto. The good part about Goat cheese is that it complements the pesto rather than neutralizing it completely.

Picture1

  I’ve tried this recipe quite a few times and find this to be one of the simplest and easiest appetizers to put together both as a dip and a spread with some water crackers.

 For the Pesto – 
       Ingredients 
       2 cups fresh basil leaves
       2 cups fresh spinach leaves
       1 cup pitted green olives
       ¼ cup walnuts
       ¼ cup almonds (blanched)
       2 garlic cloves
       1 tablespoon lemon juice

       Method:
       Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined.
       Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until ready to serve.
       ( I avoid adding salt to the pesto, as the Goat cheese in the dip has the added salt.)


Picture2

For the Spread -
        Ingredients
        ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
        ¼ cup pesto ( using recipe above)
        ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
        ½ cup cooked, shredded/minced chicken (optional)
      
       Method
       In a bowl, beat the goat cheese, pesto until smooth.
      Add in chicken and mix well Serve warm or chilled.

Picture4 I like to warm the goat cheese a little and then combine the pesto by adding a teaspoon at a time, that way its easier control the amount of the goat cheese and pesto that goes into the dip.

 For the Dip -
          Ingredients
         ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
         ¼ cup pesto ( using recipe above)
         ½ cup greek style yogurt
         ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
         ½ cup cooked, shredded/minced chicken (optional)
       

         Method
        Whisk yogurt separately, until smooth and set aside.
         In a bowl, beat the goat cheese, pesto until smooth.
         Add the yogurt, chicken and mix well. Serve warm.


I like serving this with grape tomatoes, grapes or fresh cut figs and of course a glass of good red wine. This recipe also works well as a topping for pasta, pizza or couscous. The preparation time is under 30 minutes for the pesto and  the dip (or the spread). The recipe yields about 2 cups (dip /spread).

3 comments:

Sara @ Saucy Dipper said...

I like everything about this! I'd definitely make it into a dip...but maybe that's just me :)

Sara @ Saucy Dipper said...

I like everything about this! I'd definitely make it into a dip...but maybe that's just me :)

Sihi said...

Thank you Sara, that's really good to know. You have a wonderful website. Love the Food Humor section. Really unique!